|The wreck of the Gneisenau was towed out to the harbour entrance of the Gotenhafen (Gdynia) and scuttled at an angle across the main channel 27 March 1945. This photograph was taken in 1945.||Another view of the wreck of the Gneisenau as a block ship in Gotenhafen (Gdynia).|
|Other photographs of the wreck of the Gneisenau at Gotenhafen (Gdynia). Notice the camouflage net covering parts of the upperstructure on the photograph to the left.|
|Again the remains of the Gneisenau. The lighthouse (to the left) stands at the end of a mole on the one side of the harbour entrance.||In 1946 the wreck was still recognisable by the upperworks. Notice the lighthouse to the left.|
|On this photograph it is easy to see how the wreck of the Gneisenau blocks the harbour entrance to the Gotenhafen (Gdynia).|
|During the last phase of breaking up the ship. Of the superstructure, only the funnel, the armoured command post and the barbettes of the forward turrets remained.||This photograph was taken on 8 November 1949. What remained of the hull was raised 12 September 1951and immediately towed away to be scraped.|
© John Asmussen, 2001 - 2010. All rights reserved.