Scharnhorst

The History

Main Page
General Information
Scharnhorst
Gneisenau
German Shipyards
The Z-Plan
Miscellaneous
Ship Models
Guestbook
Links
Forum
Bismarck Class
Admiral Hipper Class
Deutschland Class
Graf Zeppelin

The Construction and Sea Trials

The building contract for Panzerschiff "D" (Ersatz Elsass) was placed with the Marineweft, Wilhelmshaven (from 1935 the Kriegsmarine Weft) on 25. January 1934. The design had not received final approval though.

The keel was laid on 14. February 1934 on slipway 2. 5. July 1935 the work was stopped and the material scrapped. The original plans had been modified to accommodate the new specifications and a fresh keel was laid down on 15. June 1935.

It was Construction No. 125 at the Kriegsmarine Weft, Wilhelmshaven.

Photo: The launch of the Scharnhorst on 3. October 1936.

She spent almost 16 months on the ways before she was launched on 3. October 1936. The ship was christened by the widow of Kapitän zur See (Captain) Felix Schultz, commander of the armoured cruiser Scharnhorst, lost with his ship at the Battle of the Falkland Islands on 8 December 1914.

Photo: The Scharnhorst, during her fitting-out period, is slowly towed through the opened Kaiser Wilhelm Bridge in Wilhelmshaven on her way to the 40.000-tonne floating dock in 1938.

Photo: The commissioning of the Scharnhorst on 7. January 1939.

The Scharnhorst was commissioned nearly 27 months later on 7. January 1939 and placed under the command of Kapitän zur See (Captain) Otto Ciliax.

Photo: The Scharnhorst during the first sea trials period.

Following the commissioning the ship conducted intensive trials in the Baltic Sea.

Photo: The hull of the Tirpitz towed away to the equipping pier after the launching ceremony on 1. April 1939. The Scharnhorst can be seen to the right.

On 1. April 1939 the Scharnhorst was at Wilhelmshaven for the launching that day of the new battleship Tirpitz.

Photo: As flagship the promotion of Generaladmiral Erich Raeder to Grand Admiral took place of the quaterdeck of the Scharnhorst. The promotion took place after the launch of the Tirpitz on 1. April 1939.

The Scharnhorst was the largest unit present and acted as flagship. After the launch of the Tirpitz the promotion of Generaladmiral Erich Raeder to Grossadmiral (Grand Admiral) by Hitler took place on the quaterdeck of the Scharnhorst.

Preliminary trials in the first half of 1939 indicated that adjustments and alterations were necessary in some systems and equipment, such as the new boilers, and that problems would exist because of the low freeboard and bow trim.

Photo: The Scharnhorst during her refit based on experiences from the first sea trials.

In August 1939 an aircraft hangar was added and the stem was modified as a result of the trials.

Photo: The Scharnhorst during her sea trials after she was modified.

On 2. September 1939 the Scharnhorst made a brief trial run to check out such adjustments and added new features. It was found that some work had to be accomplished on the superheater tubes, as they were not functioning properly.

The ship was ready for combat operations in October-November 1939.



© John Asmussen, 2001 - 2010. All rights reserved.